The Gottman Model of Couples Therapy is an evidence based form of couples’ therapy that strives to assist couples in achieving a deeper sense of understanding, awareness, empathy, and connectedness within their relationships that ultimately leads to heightened intimacy and interpersonal growth.
By combining therapeutic interventions with couples’ exercises, this type of therapy helps couples identify and address the natural defenses that hinder effective communication and bonding.
The Gottman Method is a highly structured and goal-oriented form of couples’ therapy that is designed to help couples maintain healthy and lasting relationships (The Gottman Institute)
Some of the relationship issues addressed in therapy are:
• Frequent conflict and arguments
• Resolvable or perpetual problems
• Poor communication skills
• Emotionally distanced or disengaged couples on the verge of separation
• Specific problems: jealousy, control, infidelity, parenting and sexual difficulties. .